Magnetic Stirrer Operation Guide
Device Programming Tips
The fundamental principles of magnetic stirrers may seem simplistic: to thoroughly mix compounds within a sterile environment. At first glance, it appears these essential devices automate a rather standard procedure; however, magnetic stirrers have swiftly evolved into complex and sophisticated pieces of machinery. An excellent example of such evolution is the CAT Scientific MC S66 Programmable Hotplate Magnetic Stirrer. This advanced device offers a 10-liter capacity and offers mixing speeds ranging from 50 to 1600 RPMs with a maximum temperature output of 330℃; not to mention its sleek design and ability to support a wide array of processes and experiments.
Modern laboratories demand modern solutions. CAT Scientific understands the evolution of this industry, and satisfies this requirement via innovative technologies designed to streamline processing and experiments.
CAT Scientific | Magnetic Stirrer Programming Solutions
Both new and experienced laboratory personnel have contacted us regarding our programmable magnetic stirrers. The concept of magnetic stirring programming is strikingly simple: once profiles are programmed into the device, they may be instantly accessed for future processing and experiments. This eliminates the need to build mixing profiles from scratch, which results in significant time and effort savings.
For this example, we’ll use the highly-celebrated CAT MC S66 magnetic stirrer. All programming is manipulated via the acid-proof membrane keypad and intuitive control panel. Operation parameters are clearly viewed on the LCD display. The following is a basic step-by-step guide to programming the magnetic stirrer:
- Step One | Turn on the device via the Power On/Off switch. NOTE: When the device is turned off, temperature settings are stored via the internal EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory).
- Step Two | Turn on the motor via the Motor On/Off switch.
- Step Three | Set the Motor RPM via the up-and-down keys on the control panel.
- Step Four | Activate the heating plate by pressing the Plate On/Off switch.
- Step Five | Select the Plate Temperature via the Heating up-and-down keys on the control pane.
- Step Six | Determine the Probe Temperature. The PT100 temperature probe is an optional attachment designed to measure solution temperatures to ensure safe and effective processing. Read more about this essential attachment in our article, A Guide to Using Magnetic Stirrer Temperature Probes
- Step Seven | Establish the safety temperature within the control panel. Regardless of whether or not you use a temperature probe, should the hotplate exceed the designated safety temperature, the device automatically initiates a step-by-step shutdown procedure.
- Step Eight | Select the speed at which you wish the temperature to increase. Selections may be made by minute, hour or day.
- Step Nine | Determine how long you wish the magnetic stirrer to operate. The timer may be set in minutes, hours or days.
Additional Programming Tips for Effective Experiments
Along with the ease of establishing a programmed operation, CAT Scientific magnetic stirrers are equipped with the following operational elements:
- Indicator LEDs | To ensure ease of operation, plate and motor keys feature an LED light to indicate whether or not the device is activated. When the Heater LED is illuminated, the red light will blink or remain solid until the hotplate achieves the desired temperature. The Hot LED serves as a visual reminder that the hotplate is activated and too hot to touch. Timer and Ramp LEDs indicate both functions have been programmed and are ready to be executed.
- Standard Timer | This streamlined method of selecting and monitoring stirring duration is easily navigated by pressing the Timer Key and then selecting the duration in minutes, hours or days. At the end of this determined duration, the magnetic stirrer automatically shuts down.
- Multifunction Timer | By pressing and holding the Timer Key for three seconds, the multifunction mode is activated. This mode allows researchers to create multiple unique profiles to be performed back-to-back.
CAT Scientific is dedicated to the success of all laboratories. Through our innovative designs and commitment to serving our customers, we believe your processing needs and experiments can be streamlined without sacrificing quality. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to Ask Us A Question.