A Guide to Using Magnetic Stirrer Temperature Probes
Understanding Our Equipment
The essence of every experiment is accuracy. Without pinpoint accuracy it’s nearly impossible to fully gauge your success or failure. This couldn’t be closer to the truth when you’re processing compounds via magnetic hotplate stirrers. The goal at CAT Scientific is to provide you with stable devices capable of delivering the highest degree in accuracy, which is why our magnetic stirrers are designed with the greatest attention to detail.
Although we offer non-heating magnetic stirrers, the greatest risk of deviation occurs when solutions are heated via a hotplate stirrer, such as with the CAT Scientific MC S67 magnetic stirrer. In order to sustain maximum control and accuracy, the use of an external temperature probe is recommended.
Known as the Platinum Resistance Thermometer (PRT), and described as the PT100 probe within our literature, these attachments are secured to the magnetic stirrer device and provide continuous monitoring over the temperature within the solution. Should the temperatures deviate from the range specified during the operation setup, the probe automatically shuts down the device to prevent overheating.
Operation Guide | Using the PT100 Temperature Probe With CAT Scientific Magnetic Stirrers
Found in each CAT Scientific magnetic stirrer is a full operational guide. However, below is a brief step-by-step guide for setting up the PT100 temperature probe with the MC S67 magnetic stirrer:
- Connect the PT100 temperature probe to the magnetic stirrer. The connection socket is marked “PT100” and found at the rear of the device.
- Carefully insert the probe into the solution container that’s already on the hotplate. Immerse the probe at least 2cm into the solution. Do not let the probe touch the bottom of the vessel.
- Activate the device by pressing the “Power On/Off” switch on the magnetic stirrer.
- With the up/down keys, set the desired probe temperature – also known as ProbeSet.
- Select the maximum desired temperature on the actual hotplate device via the plate temperature button, which is known as the PlateLim. NOTE: The temperature should be set at the maximum of your heating range to allow the control algorithms to determine the ideal hotplate temperature. Make sure the PlateLim temperature is at least 10 to 20 percent hotter than the programmed probe temperature. This ensures the heating process isn’t extraordinarily long.
- Activate the hotplate by pressing the plate on/off switch. Confirm activation by making sure the LED indicator is green.
- Activate the stirring action by pressing the motor on/off switch on the device.
Upon activation, the MC S67 device automatically configures the optimum hotplate temperature to reach the desired temperature without sacrificing solution integrity.
Selecting and Controlling Temperature Without a Probe
Of course, it’s possible to control the solution temperature without the PT100 probe. To accomplish this goal, follow these instructions:
- Activate the unit by pressing the power on/off switch on the device.
- Activate the plate temperature by pressing the PlateLim on/off switch.
- Select your ideal temperature via the up/down keys found on the control panel.
- Activate the plate by pressing the on/off switch on the hotplate.
- Activate the stirring motor by pressing the on/off switch on the magnetic stirrer.
A Safer Experiment | Temperature Probe Safety Features
Along with offering highly-focused temperature monitoring, the PT100 temperature probe offers expanded safety during operation. Should the operating parameters deviate from predetermined safety levels, the probe will automatically initiate shutdown procedures. Device shutdown is triggered when:
- The temperature probe isn’t fully immersed in the liquid solution.
- There is a significant discrepancy between probe temperature readouts and the hotplate temperature setting.
- The liquid temperature doesn’t increase even though the hotplate temperature continues to increase.
- The temperature probe is disconnected from the device.
At CAT Scientific, safety is a priority. To uncover the various safety features found in all of our magnetic stirrers, read our post on CAT Scientific Magnetic Stirrer Safety Elements. Of course, feel free to Ask Us A Question, and we’ll be more than happy to discuss your concerns and answer any question you have regarding our products and their safety features.